Daiquiris are a girl's drink.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Doug love

My superbrilliantlovelybesthousemateever Tom remembered to pick up a copy of JPod for me before he left for Barcelona. This triggered a Coupland-off between me and Amp.

"I bet you don't have a signed copy of Generation X!"
"I do! Here it is!"
"Does it say To Miss AMP though?"
"Why in the hell would it say that, it says To Anna! AND I have an uncorrected proof of All Families Are Psychotic!"
"But is your GenX an American first edition? Signed in San Fransico?"
"No, but I do have a copy of City Of Glass which you aren't supposed to be able to get outside of Canada!"

(Remaining bandmates watched this heated exchange with mystified looks.)

Literary considerations aside (I am too hungover to go lit crit, I stayed up drinking with the boys who had decided not to go to sleep before their flight), I've always loved Douglas Coupland for his attention to detail, the poetry of the minutiae. Getting a fresh Coupland hit hightens my detail senses too and it suddeny seems very now and appropriate that I got Tom to get me the book because he works for a Big Corporate American Book Chain (Mc LitJob - ew, that sonds a bit filthy actually) and gets a staff disount. I plan to keep the receipt as a bookmark.

Anyway, as a homage to both Doug and Ms Masonic Boom's love of all internet quiz crap, here is my Living Cartoon Profile, adapted from the book.

Name: Anna
Name people actually use: Anna (I'm starting to feel one-dimesional, given my total lack of nicknames and net handles.)
Preferred room temperature: 20C
Favourite game: Minesweeper
Preferred Simpsons character: Lisa, especially when she breaks out of the standard red dress and into new outfits. Other than Lisa, I go with Miss Springfield for being fun to mimmic. ("And you was a girl Joe!")
Preferred karaoke song: Tough call, probably Brass In Pocket, though Lost In Translation has made that a bit cliche now.
Food group most prevalent within work cubicle: When I have an office job, the small skinny latte owns this section.
Has she, following the Death of The i-Mac (1999 - 2006 RIP baby), actually bothered to bring the book to an internet cafe in order to complete this? Yes.
Does this make her feel like a bit of a loser? Yes.
As much of a loser as the time she thought 'Some loser somewhere must have written out the sleeveotes Julie Burchill wrote for St Etienne's Too Young To Die, that's what the internet is for' and then couldn't find them and hit a real personal low by typing them out herself and becoming that internet loser? No.

5 Comments:

Blogger The Outer Church said...

Nicknames... how about 'Bongle'? It doesn't mean anything but it sounds nice.

6:51 pm  
Blogger Masonic Boom said...

Man, and you guys made fun of me for trying to listen to wibbling dronerock at rehearsal. Smell of NERD!!!!

10:48 am  
Blogger Anna said...

I don't really see myself as a Bongle... nerd maybe, but not a Bongle.

5:14 pm  
Blogger AMP said...

anna where are the burchill sleevenotes? I WANT THEM!!!!!

11:34 am  
Blogger AMP said...

So, I bought Jpod the other day... but I didn't stump up an additional £8 to get a signed copy in a special box with a little plastic figurine, because that would be ridiculous. That just seems wrong, like the pimping out of our desire for connection to Dougie. If I'd bought that, I would have felt used and taken advantage of - in a *bad* way. Phew, a lucky escape there then, eh.

10:59 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home